Whether it’s a new year’s resolution, a new diet and exercise regimen, or just trying to stay fit as part of your day to day routine, there’s never a wrong time to make good use of your at-home gym. Many people prioritize upper-body exercises in their workout routine, and the home gym market is geared towards that. Dumbbells and bench press machines dominate the market, but a lower-body workout is just as important.
The leg workout can take many forms, and it’s easy to strengthen your leg muscles with running and exercises like squats. But if you’re looking for a more heavy-duty workout to help your leg muscles keep pace with your upper-body, consider a leg press machine. The leg press machine lets you use your natural leg strength to power the machine, ensuring a vigorous workout that can be customized to your desired level of intensity.
Here at Trainer Builder, we’ve put together a list of the eight best leg press machines on the market today. Read on to discover the perfect machine to take your at-home workout to the next level!
Best Leg Press Machine Comparison Table
Best Leg Press Machine FAQ
1. What Is a Leg Press Machine and What Can It Do for Me?
A leg press machine is a simple home gym machine that works by using a large plate pressed with leg power to lift connected weights. It is ideal for working out key leg muscles in a safe environment.
2. Are Leg Press Machines Safe to Use?
Yes! The best press machines are designed with plenty of safety features to ensure they stay stable. The weights are also attached to a cable rather than being free-standing, so there’s less risk of accidents than with free weights.
3. Are Leg Press Machines Ideal for People with Different Strength Levels?
Yes, the weight level on each machine is customizable to your level of strength. Start at a low level you’re comfortable with and add additional weight every time you want to increase your workout intensity.
4. Is a Leg Press Machine an Easy Fit in a Home Gym?
Most of the machines on this list come partially assembled and when complete are relatively compact. They’ll fit comfortably in most mid-sized home gyms.
5. Where Can I Buy the Best Leg Press Machines?
The eight machines on this list are available on Amazon or from most major sporting goods and workout retailers.
How We Reviewed
The following eight machines were reviewed based on the following parameters – affordability, durability, ease of use, ease of assembly, customizability, effectiveness as a workout tool, and any additional features.
Overall Price Range
The eight machines on this list range from $350 to $2200, with most models ranging from $750 to $1500. These prices are comparable to low-cost models like Weider Ultimate Body Works, which range from $120 to $320 depending on the model; or Yukon Fitness’ Vertical Leg Press which retails for $400.
What We Reviewed
- Vertical leg press that effectively isolates your lower body muscles
- Dual-adjustable 1/2-inch locking pins; 3 starting and stopping positions
- Extra-thick back pad and contoured head and neck pad
- Durable alloy steel frame with tough powder-coated finish
- 400-pound capacity; weights, adapter sleeves, and collars not included
If you’re looking for a low-cost, easy-to-use option for your home gym, this vertical press provides a solid workout without taking up the space of many horizontal leg presses. It’s ideal for less-experienced athletes and has a 400-pound weight capacity. Its durable alloy steel frame has a powder-coated finish and is strong despite being lightweight and easy to assemble. For a home gym this a perfect way to isolate and train your leg muscles and can be adjusted to any of three starting positions. This press comes with a ten-year warranty on the frame and one year on all other parts.
- Four weight horns capable of up to a 1,000 weight load delivery maximum resistance for the home gym user
- Safety levers on each side of the reclining bench make the Powertec Leg Press top of its class
- Max Load: 1,000 lbs
If you’re into heavy-duty workouts, you’ll need a machine to match. The Powertec Fitness Leg Press is an elite workout machine, made from a heavy steel frame of over 200 pounds. That means it’s near-impossible to break and can handle whatever pressure you put on it. If you’re used to putting extensive work into your upper body and want a powerful leg muscle-building machine to match, this is a mid-priced option that provides top-level results. It can handle up to 1000 pounds of weight and is designed to last for years of standard use.
The Body-Solid Leg Press/Hack Squat machine is a classic model, set at a 45-degree incline with a quad track roller system that ensures smooth motion. The diamond-shaped foot plate is designed to be knee-friendly and provides security as you press. The machine comes with an easy-to-adjust system that allows you to switch from a press to a hack-squat workout. Three lockout positions ensure you don’t have to worry about getting stuck, and the machine comes with sturdy back and shoulder padding made from sweat-resistant Durafirm fabric.
- Adjustable shoulder pads allow for a wide range of user heights. This also allows us to make the machine smaller than most
- Fully adjustable foot plate for any desired angle
- Foot plate also folds out of the way for Hack Squats
- Industrial grade linear bearings. Plastic wheels tend to flatten over time. Linear bearings never flatten, or wear out
- Lifetime warranty
A combination press and hack-squat, the BodyCraft 660 is a heavy-duty machine designed for expert workouts. One of the higher-end models, it’s constructed from heavy gauge steel and can handle a weight of up to 1000 pounds – ensuring even the toughest lifter will find this sufficient. The thick adjustable shoulder pads can handle users of differing weight, and the machine is compact and ideal for home use. Industrial-grade linear bearings are designed to last for the life of the machine, and the large diamond foot plate is comfortably wide and folds away to convert the press to a hack-squat machine. Coming with a lifetime warranty and compatible with Olympic plates, it’s one of the most durable and versatile models on the list.
- 1000 lbs weight capacity
- Four settings on back rests and footboards
- Padded dual shoulder braces, back pad, and padded head rest
- 11 gauge 2" x 3" and 2" x 2" steel mainframe construction with scratch resistant powder coat finish
- Ultra thick 3" Duracraft split cushions offer firm support and double stitched, tear-resistant Duraguard vinyl
Sold directly from the website of elite fitness equipment manufacturer XMark, this combination press/hack-squat machine is as close to a commercial-grade model as you’ll find for your home gym. With a thousand-pound weight capacity, it’s ideal for experienced trainers who are looking to build serious leg muscles. It’s especially good for quadriceps workouts, and thanks to its safety features you don’t need to worry about a spotter. It’s easy-to-use thanks to attached handles that allow you to get the rack into position by hand at the end of a tiring workout.
- Direct drive press system for accurate and effective weight resistance
- Large pivoting footplate maintains correct foot position throughout range of motion
- Dual self aligning 1 1/2" linear bearing seat carriage design easily adjusts to accommodate Various foot positions
- Fully adjustable back support for proper body alignment and comfort
- Body-Solid In Home Lifetime Warranty that covers everything. Forever. Period
The Body-Solid Leverage Horizontal is a plate-loaded press that provides some of the most fluid pressing motions of any home press. The oversized foot press has the ability to pivot making it easy to get comfortable. In addition, the self-aligning seat carriage is designed to adjust to fit all body types. The back support has sufficient padding to ensure comfort during a strenuous workout and the frame is made from two-by-three-inch heavy gauge steel. This is a rugged, highly durable machine that provides a smooth workout. This model also contains weight plate holders to make it easy to store plates for convenient transfer onto the weight load. This machine is ideal for someone who wants a durable, heavy-duty machine for frequent workouts and is willing to pay for quality.
- The sled is driven by nylon bearing wheels that provide a smooth quiet ride on steel rods preventing lateral movement and providing a precise motion
- The seat and adjustable back pad along with the adjustable angle foot plate and hand grips lock the user into the position to perform the exercise
- The design of the carriage and seat section allow for a leg sled that is significantly more compact than any other in its class
- A foot tube is also included to provide calf raises
- Weight Capacity - sled: 700 lbs.; Weights sold separately
If you’re looking for a different angle than the standard incline or vertical press, the Powertec Fitness Compact is worth checking out. A small, mid-priced model that is positioned at a 45-degree decline, it’s the seat that moves rather than the weight plate. Pushing against a solid footplate, the seat moves and lifts the attached weight pins under the seat. Driven by strong nylon-bearing wheels, it has one of the most fluid operations of any press on the list. The foot plate and seat are both adjustable for maximum comfort and body alignment, and the machine has a maximum capacity of 700 pounds. Including a foot tube for calf raises, it’s a unique multi-purpose machine that takes up less space and money than many alternatives.
- Mounted on heavy duty eight rollers. - Finished in SILVER GREY
- Extra wide steel deck foot plate.
- Deluxe 3" thick stitched padding.
- Heavy duty safety stoppers.
- Great to delvelop Quadriceps, strengthen Hamstrings, Glutes and Calf Raise
If you’re looking for a budget alternative to the high-end presses on this list, this vertical model is an appealing alternative. Safe and durable, it is ideal for delivering a great workout on your legs, hamstrings, and quadriceps. Because of the weight capacity of one thousand pounds, it is mounted on eight heavy-duty rollers that provide a smooth ride as you work out. The oversized foot-plate is easily adjustable for maximum comfort, and the range of motion allows even the tallest athlete to get a full workout. The safety stoppers ensure that you’ll never get stuck, and the thick padding provides a comfortable workout for your lower back. It’ll give you the leg workout you need at a fraction of the price.
All eight machines on this list deliver a solid workout, but we’re looking for one that allows a top-quality workout for athletes of all endurance levels. There was a significant difference in price, with the lower-cost models having a lower weight capacity but still providing an ideal workout for beginners. There was one mid-priced model that stood out for delivering a top-quality leg workout without having the drawbacks of its rivals. We give our endorsement to the PowerTec Fitness Leg Press as the best leg press machine on the market today.